Hello

A place to talk about all things and anything.

Moderator: mcrow

Marchand

Hello

Postby Marchand » Sun May 02, 2010 3:54 am

I just picked up Nebuleon on pdf out of curiosity and I'm very pleased with my purchase - one of those games that makes me want to get some people over and play. For once, I really liked the fiction too (almost unprecedented for me in terms of RPGs).

Very excited to hear there are plans for a 2nd edition.

HinterWelt

Re: Hello

Postby HinterWelt » Sun May 02, 2010 8:06 am

Marchand wrote:I just picked up Nebuleon on pdf out of curiosity and I'm very pleased with my purchase - one of those games that makes me want to get some people over and play. For once, I really liked the fiction too (almost unprecedented for me in terms of RPGs).

Very excited to hear there are plans for a 2nd edition.

Thank you! Yeah, I am slowly working towards Nebuleon SE. So, as you go through, please let us know if there is something you would like to see. Alan, Mike, Scott, Clash and a few others have been very helpful.

Don't forget the CHARGen! It can be very helpful with Setting Characters and just seeing what a character should look like.

Welcome!

Bill
HinterWelt Enterprises
Bill Corrie

Marchand

Postby Marchand » Tue May 04, 2010 4:20 pm

Hi,

I've been dipping in an out and a couple of gaps might be:

Ship design and construction
Trade rules
The detail on FTL seems a bit sketchy... but maybe that is deliberate (a lot of the best SF is constructively vague on this)

One thing that seemed weird to me: Appearance and Charisma? I can tell they are two different things, but it seems particularly strange when there are some very different alien races involved. (What does an attractive Dras look like?!)

Just a random comment: I think there might be typo on page 212 under Customisation: it talks about Shades of Earth 1938 in my pdf?

I am really impressed with the game and in particular with the background you've created. I've picked up Back in the Corps Again and Rehendi Prison to explore this universe a little further.

Just wish I could get a chance to play!

HinterWelt

Postby HinterWelt » Thu May 06, 2010 4:35 pm

Marchand wrote:Hi,

I've been dipping in an out and a couple of gaps might be:

Ship design and construction

Ship Gen Rules as they currently stand. I think we will be revising them. Also, you most likely cannot precisely generate the ships in the books with these rules.
Marchand wrote:Trade rules

Coming in SE. It will include a lot more about how trade works, what is traded, relative worth, and a whole bunch of economy stuff (like CPIs for systems and general fees for services).
Marchand wrote:The detail on FTL seems a bit sketchy... but maybe that is deliberate (a lot of the best SF is constructively vague on this)

This also in SE. Here we will be expanding on Flux Psychosis (long exposure to high speed FTL) and how FTL works.

If you want the quick version, it uses graviton generators to create a singularity that warps time-space allowing the ship to move FTL. There is more to it but that is the basic.
Marchand wrote:
One thing that seemed weird to me: Appearance and Charisma? I can tell they are two different things, but it seems particularly strange when there are some very different alien races involved. (What does an attractive Dras look like?!)

This is a point that we have discussed for a long time. Essentially, everything is from a human standard. So, Dras would have a low APP but could have a higher CHA.
Marchand wrote:
Just a random comment: I think there might be typo on page 212 under Customisation: it talks about Shades of Earth 1938 in my pdf?

You are correct sir. I will need to fix that.
Marchand wrote:
I am really impressed with the game and in particular with the background you've created. I've picked up Back in the Corps Again and Rehendi Prison to explore this universe a little further.

Just wish I could get a chance to play!

Well, that is always the problem isn't it? :oops: Small press is a hard sell to some groups. If worse comes to worse, make your own gamers. This often works well for me (and Clash, another small press guy).

Good Luck!
Bill
HinterWelt Enterprises
Bill Corrie

Marchand

Postby Marchand » Thu May 13, 2010 6:28 am

HinterWelt wrote:Small press is a hard sell to some groups. If worse comes to worse, make your own gamers.

I have a mental image of green-glowing cloning vats and large chaps with bolts in their necks, which I'm sure isn't what you meant... :lol:

More on FTL would be good so I know how to handle it in-game. I am thinking of the FTL story in the book, where the pilot was hired for her skill and the precise timing of hyperspace entry and exit were crucial to the success of the mission.

While I think about it, another good-to-have might be a mission generator: patron, task, opposition, complication, location, say.

Anyway, I've popped the starmap from p.6 into Astrosynthesis (2.0). No planets yet, just the stars. If it's of interest, could I upload it somewhere?

Marchand

HinterWelt

Postby HinterWelt » Thu May 13, 2010 6:49 pm

Marchand wrote:
HinterWelt wrote:Small press is a hard sell to some groups. If worse comes to worse, make your own gamers.

I have a mental image of green-glowing cloning vats and large chaps with bolts in their necks, which I'm sure isn't what you meant... :lol:

More on FTL would be good so I know how to handle it in-game. I am thinking of the FTL story in the book, where the pilot was hired for her skill and the precise timing of hyperspace entry and exit were crucial to the success of the mission.

While I think about it, another good-to-have might be a mission generator: patron, task, opposition, complication, location, say.

Anyway, I've popped the starmap from p.6 into Astrosynthesis (2.0). No planets yet, just the stars. If it's of interest, could I upload it somewhere?

Marchand

I think you can here. If not, let me know...I may need to set a permission or two. I have been working on Tern System in Astrosynthesis. I should really post that. Has planets and images and everything.

I almost think we should do a mission generator online. Seems simple enough. I will have to think about it.

Thanks,
Bill
HinterWelt Enterprises
Bill Corrie

Marchand

Postby Marchand » Mon May 17, 2010 9:12 am

Here it is. The filename extension ".sector" as used by AS was not allowed by the board, so I changed it to .xls, although it isn't an excel file. I hope it will still work if you save the file and then change the extension back to ".sector".

Anyway, it's a simple little thing, just the stars as on the page 6 map with some exceptions: 1) I changed some system coordinates from those given on the p.6 map to make the systems appear in the right place. 2) I moved K'Telk up near R'Telk; and 3) I dumped Rehendi in an empty bit of the map.

Colour code should be in file comments:

Green = Grou-Lynn Empire
Red = Kolkesh Empire
Brown = Dremin Shri-T'kor
Orange = Jiran Theocracy
Grey = Mog, Human, no overall control, etc.

Comments gratefully received,

Marchand
Attachments
Nebuleos.xls
Green = Grou-Lynn Empire
Red = Kolkesh Empire
Brown = Dremin
Orange = Jiran Theocracy
Grey = Mog, Human etc.
(1.23 MiB) Downloaded 392 times

HinterWelt

Postby HinterWelt » Thu May 20, 2010 4:43 pm

Thanks! This is cool!

Bill
HinterWelt Enterprises
Bill Corrie

Marchand

Postby Marchand » Fri May 21, 2010 7:13 am

Also should clarify that I allocated any system with a Gren settlement to their empire, as it seems the Gren are the dominant power in the setting.

Return to “HinterWelt Cafe”