[2008 Catalog] I like doing layout

A place to talk about all things and anything.

Moderator: mcrow

HinterWelt

[2008 Catalog] I like doing layout

Postby HinterWelt » Thu May 01, 2008 8:12 pm

There are times when I think I should just layout books. I really like doing that whether I am good at it or not. Any suggestions or comments on the attached catalog would be most appreciated.

HinterWelt 2008 Catalog

Thanks,
Bill
HinterWelt Enterprises
Bill Corrie

torg_or

Re: [2008 Catalog] I like doing layout

Postby torg_or » Tue May 27, 2008 4:03 pm

Hmmm looks good - (i do catalog work on freelance - side gigs) - What software do you use? I usually stick with Adobe Indesign - master pages are good as well as sectioning.

Anyhow - this looks nice overall -

Personal critique - more white space - something to divide each product from each other - Allow for each product
to have its own "space". Easiest way to do this on the pages you have - adjust the line-spacing in the description paragraphs. - see if you can gain twice the space between each product. Its nice to provide the eye with resting spots that way. My goal would be to double the space between each product block. Looking at the work you have done - it seems like at least a couple of the pages have room for this with very little rework. Spacing is a key element... otherwise I think it looks nice.

Hmmm target for this - web orders? Does your application allow you to embed links in this pdf? If so - provide some hyper links - to allow a person to click directly into the document and pop up their web browser to your order page easily.

Lastly - the lens flare on the front cover title copy is a little strong for me... either that or the "2008 catalog" copy is blurry... or is it just me?

-d
the artist formally known as dwalton97060 :)

HinterWelt

Postby HinterWelt » Tue May 27, 2008 7:14 pm

torg_or wrote:Hmmm looks good - (i do catalog work on freelance - side gigs) - What software do you use? I usually stick with Adobe Indesign - master pages are good as well as sectioning.

Anyhow - this looks nice overall -

Personal critique - more white space - something to divide each product from each other - Allow for each product
to have its own "space". Easiest way to do this on the pages you have - adjust the line-spacing in the description paragraphs. - see if you can gain twice the space between each product. Its nice to provide the eye with resting spots that way. My goal would be to double the space between each product block. Looking at the work you have done - it seems like at least a couple of the pages have room for this with very little rework. Spacing is a key element... otherwise I think it looks nice.

Hmmm target for this - web orders? Does your application allow you to embed links in this pdf? If so - provide some hyper links - to allow a person to click directly into the document and pop up their web browser to your order page easily.

Lastly - the lens flare on the front cover title copy is a little strong for me... either that or the "2008 catalog" copy is blurry... or is it just me?

-d

Good to hear from you again, Don!

Yeah, I have gotten that response (about whitespace) from several folks. I tried increasing the spacing between products but that seems to not have done it. I will give your suggestions a try.

I use Adobe Framemaker 7.2. It is really a tech manual layout program but it works great for RPGs. I probably should invest in InDesign...but I am pretty comfortable with FM.

With the lens flare I was trying for more of a sun burst kind of thing then a dim star and thus the emphasis. I see your point though, it does pull the eye up to the date then wash the date out a bit.

BTW- Mostly for print purposes actually. I send most of these to retailers.

Thanks for the critiques!

Bill
HinterWelt Enterprises
Bill Corrie

Kester Pelagius

Postby Kester Pelagius » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:28 am

I second torg_or's opinion about the need for more space between entries. However one thing did grab my attention. .

The lack of an order form.

If I were to recieve this wonderful catalog/ flyer in the mail how would I go about ordering these amazing products?

Where the order form should be is this nice, cheerful, and very warm letter. (Shouldn't that be in the front of the catalog? And what's up with the lack of indenting?) Also might I suggest changing the signature from "Hinterwelt Enterprises" (which sounds cold and impersonal) to something like "The Hinterwelt Team". Unless, as you say, this is to be sent strictly to retailers. In which case it's fine as you have it.

Finally, you have a graphic banner announcing "Letter From Hinterwelt" that renders the text line "Hinterwelt Letter" superflous. I'd say keep one or the other, my vote being for the banner.

Otherwise the catalog looks great. Spiffy even!
Currently working on Mutant Dawn.

HinterWelt

Postby HinterWelt » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:48 pm

I should probably add a link to our store. That is how we handle orders now. Honestly, I have very little in the way of mail requests. Email, phone, distro and web orders are the most likely means. Still, I should probably throw stuff like that in.

And, space, yeah.

Thanks,
Bill
HinterWelt Enterprises
Bill Corrie

Return to “HinterWelt Cafe”