Do you ever miss the RPGs of the 80s?

A place to talk about all things and anything.

Moderator: mcrow

Kester Pelagius

Do you ever miss the RPGs of the 80s?

Postby Kester Pelagius » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:14 am

It was a simpler time back in the 80s with far fewer gaming choices. If you wanted to play a FRPG it was either AD&D, Palladium Fantasy, Rolemaster, one of the Chaosium settings or nothing. The choices were similarly limited for space opera games and spy adventures. Too, most RPGs back then seemed to use rule variations that could be traced back to oD&D!

Most of the games I recall from back then seem to lack the same sort of, for lack of a better word, fun that's associated wtih many games today. Back then we were young, didn't know any better, and just played for the fun of it! Now it seems like people are more interested in overanalyzing their games and talking them death. Maybe it's because there's dozens of RPG choices. I don't know.

What do you think?
Currently working on Mutant Dawn.

HinterWelt

Postby HinterWelt » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:55 am

I find the internet community of gamers to be the ones who over analyze. When I run at a con or store, the average gamer just wants to play. I find it a bit alarming that they are surprised that I would rather run the game the profess and enforce my manifesto. I might add, the are pleasantly surprised when they even notice. Most just want to play and experience a game.

As to the greatness of the games of my youth, well, I have found that it is actually the adventures and stories that were created that I like. When I go back and play AD&D or basic it really falls flat for me. Even Palladium fantasy is not the shining star I once thought it was. Part of this is having my own system to run (and what fits you getter than the system you designed) and part is just growing beyond those systems. I wont say "modern" systems are something special but they tend to have learned from past systems.

That, of course, id just my take on it.

Bill
HinterWelt Enterprises
Bill Corrie

Alan Hume

Re: Do you ever miss the RPGs of the 80s?

Postby Alan Hume » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:44 am

I have to admit I do love the old games (or is that just nostalgia and a sad tear for the lost days of youth?)

I have to share Bill's opinion for themost part, although I still love and stand by Traveller, AD&D 1st Edition (for all it's faults it was Gary's baby,guys in my club still play it and it is just a true classic), and runequest

Yeah though, for the most part I think gaming systems have gotten better but that is just natural progression, I dont htink we can ever forget that we are "standing on the shoulders of giants"

alan Hume

Kester Pelagius

Postby Kester Pelagius » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:45 pm

Nostalgia can be good. Makes you rummage through boxes and find things you forgot existed.

Which of the old school games do you miss the most?
Currently working on Mutant Dawn.

Alan Hume

Postby Alan Hume » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:50 am

Yeah, still nostalgic for Classic Traveller, 1st edition AD&D, Tunnels and trolls etc
8) 8)

scottai7

Postby scottai7 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:35 am

I miss playing Ringworld. I had a GM who did a masterful job of playing the Pierson's Puppeteer that recruited, and ultimately directed us to explore the Ringworld.
The original Paranoia was a blast as well. It was really unique at the time, and drew in some new players who just had to know what we were laughing our asses off about.

Alan Hume

Postby Alan Hume » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:16 am

Paranoia, heh,heh
I remember that :lol:

Return to “HinterWelt Cafe”