CHARgen Crash?

Where you voice Bug reports, feature requests and all manner of CHARGen Character Generator talk.
fishalamode

CHARgen Crash?

Postby fishalamode » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:49 pm

An error occured in the bean. Error Message is: null
Stack Trace is :
Momento Mori
MU SKULLS
http://muskulls.org/index.html

HinterWelt

Re: CHARgen Crash?

Postby HinterWelt » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:49 pm

fishalamode wrote:An error occured in the bean. Error Message is: null
Stack Trace is :

Restarted the sever. I was able to log in and view in PDF and Mod all the different chars. Are you still having problems?

Thanks,
Bill
HinterWelt Enterprises
Bill Corrie
815-557-7365

fishalamode

Postby fishalamode » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:35 am

Yep. . .
Tried generating an SoE char - was able to get through first screen, but when it would switch to the skills screen - I got the following:

An error occured in the bean. Error Message is: null
Stack Trace is :
java.lang.NumberFormatException: null

Could this be a problem on my end? I'm 99% sure that my Java is up to date.
Momento Mori

MU SKULLS

HinterWelt

Postby HinterWelt » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:24 am

HinterWelt wrote:
fishalamode wrote:An error occured in the bean. Error Message is: null
Stack Trace is :

Restarted the sever. I was able to log in and view in PDF and Mod all the different chars. Are you still having problems?

Thanks,
Bill

Shouldn't matter. Might be the class you are choosing. I just made an SoE char, a pilot, and went through the specification for a skill page. We recently changed servers and sometimes that introduces errors.

What class were you trying to make?

Thanks,
Bill
HinterWelt Enterprises

Bill Corrie

815-557-7365

fishalamode

Postby fishalamode » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:53 am

Tried three different classes with the same result: Scientist, Actor, Spy.
Momento Mori

MU SKULLS

HinterWelt

Postby HinterWelt » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:19 am

fishalamode wrote:Tried three different classes with the same result: Scientist, Actor, Spy.

I made each of those and it worked. Do you have Javascript disabled? Are you running an adblocker and coudl you trust www.hinterwelt.com if so?

The only think I can think of would be the Javasript errors are dropping your user id or you have a blocker of some sort doing likewise with the cookies. Are you filling all the fields out? Doing anything weird like leaving fields blank or such....

O.k. I am using the new firefox and it is definitely jacking with the javascript. I will look into it...
HinterWelt Enterprises

Bill Corrie

815-557-7365

HinterWelt

Postby HinterWelt » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:53 pm

Alright. It is DEFINITELY a mozilla issue. This means firefox and netscape will be throwing errors on incorrect or missing data. The page is not accessing the javascript and thus you could be entering an incorrect value (or more likely leaving a field empty).

So, for now but I will be working on it,
1. Make sure all fields have values. Setting Character does not need to be checked.
2. They are all alphanumeric so you should be able to enter words or numbers.

That should work. New versions of browsers are such a pain. ;)

Thanks,
Bill
HinterWelt Enterprises

Bill Corrie

815-557-7365

HinterWelt

Postby HinterWelt » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:04 am

It was the "height" field in the form. It is a reserved word in JavaScript and instead of throwing an error, it just died an allowed empty and improper fields to pass through choking the JSP. I hate scripting languages.

It should be working now.
HinterWelt Enterprises

Bill Corrie

815-557-7365

fishalamode

Postby fishalamode » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:26 pm

I've scoured my system, updated everything that I could to be current. Using IE, Got individual value errors on each field, then a java dump messege. 2nd time, just got a java dump messege.

Also, was talking with someone today and they had tried to find HinterWelt on Yahoo and got zero response, however, you were all over google. . .

I'll try Chargen tonight with firefox and see if that makes a difference. I'll also try lt with a couple different computers to make sure that it is not a resident EQ error/problem on my machine.
Momento Mori

MU SKULLS

HinterWelt

Postby HinterWelt » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:03 pm

fishalamode wrote:I've scoured my system, updated everything that I could to be current. Using IE, Got individual value errors on each field, then a java dump messege. 2nd time, just got a java dump messege.

Also, was talking with someone today and they had tried to find HinterWelt on Yahoo and got zero response, however, you were all over google. . .

I'll try Chargen tonight with firefox and see if that makes a difference. I'll also try lt with a couple different computers to make sure that it is not a resident EQ error/problem on my machine.

Weird. I tested on Firefox, Netscape, opera and IE6 and it all works. Is this a caching problem? I am not sure...

I do not know what to tell you man. CHARGen is working great for me. The only reason you should get errors is if you did not fill in fields or had JavaScript disabled.

Sorry for all the trouble.
HinterWelt Enterprises

Bill Corrie

815-557-7365

fishalamode

Postby fishalamode » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:11 pm

Thanks for looking into it. I really appreciate the time you put into it. I now know the problem now is on my end - it appears that one of my girls boyfriends wrote a little something that allows my daughter to bypass parent controls and mask her log in and sleep my key logger. So, sorry if this caused a headache.
Momento Mori

MU SKULLS

HinterWelt

Postby HinterWelt » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:26 pm

fishalamode wrote:Thanks for looking into it. I really appreciate the time you put into it. I now know the problem now is on my end - it appears that one of my girls boyfriends wrote a little something that allows my daughter to bypass parent controls and mask her log in and sleep my key logger. So, sorry if this caused a headache.

Is it working for you? I hope so but yeah, if there is funny business going on with your javascript that might be it.

And thanks for catching it. It brought it to my attention and let me fix it (well for everyone else). :oops:

Thanks,
Bill
HinterWelt Enterprises

Bill Corrie

815-557-7365

fishalamode

Postby fishalamode » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:04 am

No. . . I'm still getting stack dumps on my laptop, however, everything is working on the other machines I have in the house.
Momento Mori

MU SKULLS

HinterWelt

Postby HinterWelt » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:19 am

fishalamode wrote:No. . . I'm still getting stack dumps on my laptop, however, everything is working on the other machines I have in the house.

Don't take this wrong, but good. ;) It means we have it down to one machine. Yeah, I would suspect the mods you have on it. Hmm, of course, just to be sure, turn off any adblockers or popup blockers for www.hinterwelt.com and make sure javascript is enabled.

Sorry I do not have a better solution man. Really, in term of software installation, the CHARGen has really low requirements but it does have some. :oops:
HinterWelt Enterprises

Bill Corrie

815-557-7365

fishalamode

Postby fishalamode » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:54 pm

With the new IE update, you need to make sure that the "Compatability View" is switched on for the CharGen. Toggled it to see if it would do something and it cleared up all Java problems for the HinterWelt site.

Thanks again, Bill, for the help and patience.
Momento Mori

MU SKULLS

Return to “CHARGen Talk”