So, I was discussing this idea on another site and thought I would move it over here as it is becoming a bit more serious. Here are some of the posts from there, let me know what you think.
Moved this over from Open. The goal here is twofold. First, design a quick action d6 system for cinematic RP. Second, flesh out a setting. Here are my ideas from the other thread.
So this would not be squirrels of the living dead, then?
No, actually that has been discussed before in other threads. I think All Nuts Must Be Eaten would be a good title but I also like the Squirrels of the Living Dead. Unfortunately, the boss thinks the idea sucks.
I guess it would come down to, how does yours do it better or different? What would make me purchase this instead of use an exsisting product?
Simply, the setting. I am not big on selling the system but I think it would be somewhat lite but not what folks would call lite. I will get into that more below. The setting would be, most likely, a mixture of genres. Currently, I was talking post apoc and zombie but I might throw sci-fi in there as well. Again, more below.
I think the post-apoc choice is a good one, provided these two questions are answered in a smart, original manner:
1. What caused said apocalypse?
2. How long has it been since then?
1. The first idea I have is a alien space ship crashing onto Earth. I mean crashing, like tons of dust and a year without a summer. Possibly an extended darkness. Then, a bioform nanite that was meant to terraform a primitive planet (i.e. was never designed to interact with anything more complex than single celled animals) is released. This is the "finishing blow" but we were on the ropes before that.
2. I am really torn. I like the idea of just after the Darkness. Say, maybe 6 months to a year?
I've been playing the Left4Dead demo a bit lately and really like the mutant zombies. They add spice to the genre.
Bill, what do you think about adding multiple zombiforms?
I like it. I would go one further and stat out a couple of versions not seen a lot. Stuff like zombie birds, constructs (protein matter that the bioform has reorganized), herd animals and what I call group zombies (a malfunction of the bioform and its ability to communicate basically links several zombies into one).
Here is my first thoughts:
Alien unmanned probe (big mother) malfunctions and fails to do a close approach analysis of Earth. It tries to land but instead crashes in North America doing some serious damage. The world reels from the environmental damage but the effects are survivable (probably not so much for the US). Then a team investigates the crash site and is surprised to find a relatively intact ship. They are quickly infected and the bioform spreads fast from there.
Now, I have a couple of competing ideas.
1. The bioform mostly creates zombies but in those it does not kill, it "enhances" them. So, you end up with exaggerations of existing abilities. Enhanced characteristics, sight, hearing, smell and in rare cases things like ESP, telekinesis, telepathy and pyrokinesis.
2. The alien ship has an AI on board that has gone mad in the millennia between the stars. It now is dedicated to terraforming this planet at all costs. It has limited control over the zombies.
3. The characters come from a bunker/think tank that is now trying to find the source of the infection and to retake the surface. There are still those that live above ground but they are some tough mofos.
For the system:
1. three stats Mind Body and Spirit. Linda has suggested taking 3d10 and taking the highest to generate them. I kind of like a d6 system.
2. Infection meter. Say, eight levels of infection with points of no return. So, you might be able to get bitten 3 times but then be able to recover on your own. 4-6 times and you need an anti-viral or a special herbal medicine. 7-8 times and you need that anti-viral. Beyond three times you slowly gain infection levels.
3. I think I will need a good auto-fire rules and maybe a targeting system.
4. Some sort of feat/stunt/super skill system to juice up skills to cinematic levels. So, the ability to take a Running skill and spend a point/make a roll and suddenly you can run through the complex maze of pipes in the old abandoned power station.
Anything else you like your zombie game to do? Comments? Suggestions?