I'm running Crisis in Nuttopia later this month, and I was looking over the stat blocks on the pregen characters. How do I mechanically run the things listed in the top box titles "Skills and Spells," like fly, cling, dodge, invisibility, change (bat), teleskip, distraction, heal, etc.?
I found some of the spells/psi effects in other Iridium products, but others are unique to Squirrel Attack. Should I just run them like skill checks? Or should there be a "fatigue to activate" effect?
Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions, and I'm really enjoying the Nuttopia world. I've got all the modules, and if things go well at this gaming session, I'm thinking of running a Squirrel Attack game for our local Games Day later this spring.
Of course this sparks the age old dilemna--ninjas or pirates
Mechanically, you :
1. determine any modifiers due to difficulty. This usually ranges from 4 to -4.
2. Take the modifier and apply it to the number the the right most column. The should be the "Tot" or "Total" column. For skills this is the Stat + Apptitude + Skill rank. For Spells it is Stat + Skill Rank + Spell Rank. The most a skill total can add to is 21 and the most a spell can add to is 20.
3. Roll on a d20. Roll under or at the modified amount to succeed. Have 14 skill then you need to roll 14 or less. This is the "within your skill" idea for the skills.
A note on combat as it is the next thing that usually comes up. Step by Step:
1. Roll initiative and add AGL. Highest goes first but may hold action. If everyone holds action then it works backwards from the lowest.
2. Do all attacks on the initiative, evaluate damage and determine if the target is eliminated from the round.
2a. Determine if you hit by rolling a d20 and adding all modifiers (usually +TH on the Character Sheet). If the total is greater than the opponents Defense stat then you hit. If the opponent is going to parry or block then it should be done now.
2b. Roll a skill check (as above) against your weapon use skill. So, for Unarmed Combat you would use your UA Total to the far right of the skill. If you succeed, you may land your attack on any of the ten locations on the target's body.
2c. Roll damage and apply.
3. Repeat step 2 for all attacks.
That is SA! in a nutshell.